Sunday, January 30, 2011

Profile on Clun Forest Ram Twin Creek U012


This Clun Forest ram was obtained from Twin Creek Farm late last June and passed his health testing and was happy to meet his group of Clun ewes for breeding this past October. Twin Creek U012 is known as Hal and I was interested in obtaining him for a few reasons. On his sire's side he goes back to some Cluns from my flock as Pat obtained her first sheep and Cluns from me. Hal's grandsire (sire side) is Prairie K136"Clyde" who was a squarely built fellow and Hal follows that build. Hals' grand-dam (sire side) is Prairie Honeysuckle who I sold as a yearling ewe and she became (ROM) Registry of Merit for Pat and I have none of Honeysuckle's dam's lines left in my current flock! Hal's dam has breeding from the Red Rock flock going back to Highmeadow breeding and I wanted the opportunity to breed Hal to a group of older ewes I have that also have Highmeadow breeding. Goal is to get some younger animals back in the flock without the newer import lines! Hals's one drawback is he also has a square head (But with a Handsome, Dark & Clean Face) that seems to find it's way between the cattle panel round bale feeder and I have had to cut him free a few times!! He also has a nice square muzzle which is a good feature for grazing animals, and he gives me ram breeding options to work with if the import lines tend too become narrow muzzled. Thank you, Pat for giving me an opportunity to bring Hal back to some of his roots! Looking forward to seeing his lambs.

No comments:

Post a Comment