Tuesday, September 6, 2011

To Win and to Lose?



Well following Rachel's showing of rabbits in the breed groups on Saturday, I couldn't help but not think about the Mini Rex Black Otter Jr. Doe that was awarded Best of Breed over our Black Jr. Buck, and who went onto win Best In Show!! I thought gee it is the same age category, how many people around here breed Black Otters, and the owner is local (East Troy/Mukwonago area) so I just had to ask if they bought the doe and if so from TSC (Tractor Supply)? Well the answer was yes and we had sold 5 babies including 2 Otter does at 8 weeks of age for $10 each. We kept the Black Jr. Buck (as I figured at the time we already had 2 Otter does) and he is a fine rabbit in his own right but on that day not as good as his sister. I felt pretty stupid when I realized it but Rachel and I chuckle about it and she wrote in her fair project book on what she learned "not to let my mom sell my babies so soon!"
Some would think we lost but it was a great unforgettable day. We also discovered we have some nicer rabbits than we realized before the day began, and we also made the doe's owner happy as we offered her the pedigree. Rachel will always be remembered as the girl who sold the BIS doe for $10 to TSC. The girl paid $19.99. We joke the kids will be flocking to TSC next spring to find the next BIS rabbit. Rachel is shown with her Jr. Buck who was Best of Opposite Sex and shown is the BIS sister resting in her cage after her big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment